Synopsis: check

Well, I'm at the point now where I have finally written my synopsis to my liking (thanks to a late, unforgiving night last night...toped off with a sick child. Two hours of sleep. It doesn't feel too great). It still isn't in it's perfected, tweeked state, but the flow and the content is finally where it needs to be. I'm still in kind of a dilema because it's pretty long. It's still within average and acceptable length to editors and agents, but it's pushing the limit, and shorter and more concise is always better in these cases. However, with a story like November Rain, that isn't plot-driven but more character-driven with a slowly unfolding plot, it's difficult to write it short and concise, yet still entice someone into believing it's a beautiful story. In staying true to it's theme, I feel as though I included everything that should be included (prose and content alike) to illustrate the proper feel of the story. And that's the best I can do.

Maybe since my next story I write will be more plot-driven, writing a synopsis and blurb will be an easier process. I hope.

I've also gotten to the point where though my blurbs (for the query letters) are satisfying, I'm not nearly 100% happy with them. I don't know if I ever will be. I'm torn. So in that, I have spent time writing a few different ones, exploring different venues--some shorter and some longer. Again, shorter is better, but unfortunately in all the shorter ones, all the emotional elements of the characters and theme seem to disappear. So I guess I have 4 to choose from and will base my decision depending on the agent I am querying. Argh.

It's just overwhelming when I read so many things about how short and concise is key! After all this time, I just don't see how to make mine shorter and more concise than it already is, while still getting the theme of the novel across.

Now, since I have the difficult stuff out of the way, I'm going to shield my eyes from all synopsises and blurbs for a while and do the other research I need to do, read a few books, and then when I look at them later, hopefully my fresh perspective will help.

I have a couple books I want to read, simply because I have them and they've been on my "list" (Safe Harbor by LuAnne Rice and The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks), but then I'll start on my "assigned" reading. hehe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I’m sorry. Headaches aren't fun, are they?”

Back In The Game

Bidding My Publisher Farewell